AMS Website Scheduled Maintenance Notice
The AMS website will not be available on Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 6:00am through 8:00am Eastern Time due to system maintenance. JMM registration will not be available during this down time.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For questions please contact AMS Customer Service at email@example.com or (800) 321-4267 (U.S. & Canada), (401) 455-4000 (Worldwide).
12 Ways to Get the Most Out of the JMM
A special welcome is extended to all new participants of this meeting! We don't want you to be overwhelmed by your first meeting experience, so here are some tips on how to get the most out of your time at the meeting.
- Choose your goals for the meeting in advance and look at the program before you arrive – having a plan for your days will be less overwhelming
- Download and use the JMM app – save sessions and events of interest to you, and the app works without WiFi
- Read the daily newsletter – stay on top of daily updates to the program and events, connect with someone in the list of participants
- Stay after sessions to meet organizers and speakers in your area of research – connect with potential collaborators
- Go to a session that’s outside of your specialty – learn something new and make new connections
- Prepare your “elevator speech” about your work in mathematics – a good skill to hone for students, family, friends, dept chairs, deans, media....
- Visit the exhibits of the professional societies to learn about conferences and programs – you may find opportunities to organize a session, apply for a gravel grant, or use an employment service
- Talk with an undergraduate or graduate student in your field – get a new perspective, be a mentor
- Bring your business card – it makes it easier for old and new colleagues to follow up with you after JMM
- Keep notes on your highlights of the JMM – it will be easier to remember people, topics, exhibitor products, events
- Allow time to be in the networking areas and take time to re-charge your batteries – meet old and new friends, review your notes, make a plan for the evening, and rest
- Know where to ask for help – email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the JMM Registration Desk at the meeting